I can't register to the course in the UG, what to do?
You don't need to independently registered to this course.|
If you want a project, you should submit an interview request in the assignments section.
We will manually register the students after the kickoff meetings.
How do I choose a project? What is the process?
The process for choosing a project includes the following steps: |
1) Browse through the list of project proposals in the "Course Material" section (published near the beginning of the semester).
2) Complete and submit an "Interview Request" form in the "Assignments" section. You may be considered for three projects.
3) After being assigned an interview slot, come to the interview session and discuss the project(s) with the industrial supervisor.
4) Submit a final "Request for Project" form, by the designated date.
5) Wait for a final project assignment by the course staff.
OK, but how do I select the projects that are best suited for me?
You have a few things to consider when selecting a project:|
Will all the projects on the list start off this semester?
|No. In fact, the number of projects is limited (10-15).|
Is it possible that I will not be assigned to a project?
There are a few reasons why this could happen:|
1. The number of projects is limited (see above).
2. You did not match the minimal criteria of the projects you selected.
3. All the supervisors of the projects you selected found a better match.
You can minimize the chance of this to happen by:
1. Select projects that you have the minimal criteria.
2. Select projects that you think you have an advantage over other students, so the supervisor(s) will prefer you.
Is it a sure 95-100 grade?
Grades for successfully completed projects will be in the range of 80-100, with a 90 average.|
Can I take the project alone, in triplets, etc.?
Each project is designed to be performed by a pair of students only (120 hours each on the average).
Exceptions are undesirable and will be made only in very special circumstances.
Interviews day Q&A:
1. When and where is it again?
2. I changed my mind and don't want to/can't come to the interviews...
3. My first interview is at 13:30, do I need to be there at 12:30?
4. Do all interviews take 15 minutes?
5. We finished all interviews, what do we do now?
6. We don't want to do any of the projects, what do we do?
7. I have questions during the interviews day, who is my POC?
1. The interviews day is published on the "Events" section. It is usually on the first Wednesday of the semester, between 12:30 and 14:30 in the Faculty Hall, room 337. PLEASE come to your assigned interviews. It would be very unpleasant if a project supervisor would come for a single interview and the students won't show up.
2. Send a mail to ulevyohananovatcs.technion.ac.il urgently!
3. No. But please come a few minutes before your interview.
4. No, this is the limit. Also, if the students that were scheduled before you finished their interview, you can begin the interview earlier.
5. You need to fill a priorities form where you write your 3 priorities for a project (or less). If you need some thinking time you have one more day to send your request to ulevyohananovatcs.technion.ac.il.
6. Submit a priorities form with only your group number.
7. Noa Mor or Liran Funaro.
What are the prerequisites for this course?
This course can be taken by any undergraduate student from the 5th semester onwards. |
Each project proposal lists the specific background that the project requires. We strongly advise that if you do not have the required background, DO NOT take that project, since otherwise you will waste too much time learning it, and will either have to work more than 120 hours, or not have enough time for the project itself.
What is the formal course schedule during the semester ?
1) Attend the project kickoff meeting, sign the letter from the Dean and start working. |
2) Attend the midterm meeting and demo your progress in the presence of the course staff and industrial supervisor.
3) Submit the project in a final meeting with course staff and industrial supervisor. An example of such a presentation is available in the "Course Material" section.
4) Complete missing deliverables as instructed
Read the events section for more information about the requirements of each meeting.
I am a graduate student. Can I take this course?
|No. We are not offering projects for graduate students this semester.|
How often should I meet the industrial supervisor?
As often as needed. It is your responsibility to verify that you are in synch with the industrial supervisor regarding the project definition, the exact goals, deliverables, and material you may need to learn to perform the project. Do not be shy to approach him/her as much as you need, by email, phone, or in person.|
Our past experience has been very good. However, in the rare case that the industrial supervisor is not responsive, alert the course staff immediately (don't wait till the end of the semester).
Can I perform a project proposed by a company I am working for?
|No. In fact, the letter from the Dean you are required to sign stipulates that you are not working for the company nor have worked there during the last 6 months.|
Can I propose my own project?
I cannot come to the interview on my assigned slot. Can I ask for a different slot?
|You can try, but we cannot guarantee. Moreover, the date of the interviews is fixed and cannot be changed.|
What happens if I do not come to the interview session?
|You cannot be assigned a project without an interview first, so you will probably end up without a project.|
Can I work on the project after the end of the semester ?
Not unless there are very special circumstances. The development stage of the project should be complete|
by the end of the semester (the final meeting will be held at the beginning of the exam period). Two
extra weeks will be given to complete the packaging, documentation and delivery of the project, but no more.
Thus the project schedule is very tight, and you should not commit to a project if you think you
cannot keep to this schedule.
I've taken the course before. Can I take it again?
|Yes. However, we give higher priority to students taking it for the first time. If you've taken it before then don't register to the course in UG, just submit the interviews request (unless you want to fix your previous grade).|
Can we use templates for the "mini-website" that we need to deliver at the end of the project?
|Yes. Website templates, such as the ones on templatemo.com are an easy way to create a pretty site without concentrating on design. However, make sure you are not building an online-only site (not downloadable), such as on wix.com. The deliverable must contain the website itself.|