I will be around Monday to meet students from the class to help finalize a project definition, between 10:00 and 16:00. Please write to me to schedule a time.
( I will also be around Tuesday after class for the usual office hours).
I have also been contacted by a company that has an interesting dataset for big-data research. If you would like to hear about this option as a project, please contact me.
See you Tuesday,
|פורסם ב- 23/5/2019, 18:55:44 Created on 23/5/2019, 18:55:44 Создано 23/5/2019, 18:55:44 تم النشر ب- 23/5/2019, 18:55:44|
2 small mistakes in hw2 + bibliography note for today's class
1. I uploaded a fixed version for hw2. Thanks for the students who noticed the small (but crucial) mistake.
2. Today's class on sparse recovery and RIP roughly follows a paper by E. Candes, J. Romberg, and T. Tao, "Stable signal recovery from incomplete and inaccurate measurements", from 2005
See you next week :-)
|פורסם ב- 21/5/2019, 14:38:40 Created on 21/5/2019, 14:38:40 Создано 21/5/2019, 14:38:40 تم النشر ب- 21/5/2019, 14:38:40|
HW2 is online and info about the lecture on Tuesday
|The deadline is 3.6.2019. |
In addition, on Tuesday Nir will teach the following:
1. Approximate matrix multiplication by importance sampling.
2. SVD decomposition of matrices.
3. Approximate linear regression by leverage score sampling.
4. Matrix versions of chernoff and hoeffding bounds.
|עדכון אחרון ב- 12/5/2019, 19:28:04 Last updated on 12/5/2019, 19:28:04 Последняя модификация 12/5/2019, 19:28:04 تمت الحتلنة الأخيرة ب- 12/5/2019, 19:28:04|
Another fix in the homework
Please note that in section 4, question 2, it should be
rho(AX)/gamma' <= rho(X) / gamma
I am granting an automatic 1 week extension for the homework
(Although note that HW2 will be out this week)
|פורסם ב- 5/5/2019, 19:33:27 Created on 5/5/2019, 19:33:27 Создано 5/5/2019, 19:33:27 تم النشر ب- 5/5/2019, 19:33:27|
Welcome teaching assistant Gal Yehuda
I hope you all had a good Passover vacation.
Gal, a successful computer science graduate student, will serve as teaching assistant.
His email is
Due to his personal circumstances, Gal will be mostly working remotely, and you are requested to contact him directly to schedule a call or a meeting, if necessary.
His main job will be grading the homework, and helping with assessing project proposals and grading projects.
As for lecture notes, please follow the following protocol:
- You submit your class notes on the webcourse website (through the "lecture notes" exercise). As soon as you do that, you send both Gal and me a note.
- I will go over the notes and send you back a pdf with remarks that must be addressed.
- You will fix the notes, and upload the new version to the webcourse site. As soon as you do that, you send both Gal and me a note.
- Gal checks that you fixed everything, and uploads the final version to the "course material" section.
I would like to also take the opportunity to ask you to avoid plagiarism. This means that you cannot copy and paste sentences, let alone paragraphs, from any
source (online or not), without making it explicitly clear that you are citing someone else (with a reference included). This request is relevant to any creative work
(scientific, artistic, textual, visual, verbal) you do.
Please write things in your own words. Gal and I will help you as much as we can with English mistakes, if necessary.
See you Tuesday :)
|עדכון אחרון ב- 26/4/2019, 11:26:25 Last updated on 26/4/2019, 11:26:25 Последняя модификация 26/4/2019, 11:26:25 تمت الحتلنة الأخيرة ب- 26/4/2019, 11:26:25|
1. A few minor fixes were added to HW1 (thanks to Nir Bachrach).
2. There is a new teaching assistant, Gal Yehuda, who joined the class as staff. I will send more information soon.
See you next week,
|פורסם ב- 22/4/2019, 12:51:58 Created on 22/4/2019, 12:51:58 Создано 22/4/2019, 12:51:58 تم النشر ب- 22/4/2019, 12:51:58|
Tips for final project and due date for project proposal
There is a new item in "targiley bait" on the webcourse site - submitting a one page proposal for the final project. The due date is May 31st 2019.
In that item, you can also download a project_tips.pdf document full of ideas that will help you find a project.
I might add more ideas as the deadline is closer, and each time I add something I will send a message here.
Good luck and see you Tuesday!
|פורסם ב- 14/4/2019, 14:02:59 Created on 14/4/2019, 14:02:59 Создано 14/4/2019, 14:02:59 تم النشر ب- 14/4/2019, 14:02:59|
Some fixes for HW1
I made some more small fixes for HW1.
Thanks to Arik Rinberg for pointing out.
See you Tuesday,
|פורסם ב- 11/4/2019, 14:47:30 Created on 11/4/2019, 14:47:30 Создано 11/4/2019, 14:47:30 تم النشر ب- 11/4/2019, 14:47:30|
Fix to HW1
|Note the following mistake:|
The first two inequalities on the top of the first page, the left-hand-side should be Pr[...] (probability) and not E[...] (expectation)
I will send a fixed version later today.
Thanks to Ari Rinberg or pointing out.
|פורסם ב- 8/4/2019, 12:15:01 Created on 8/4/2019, 12:15:01 Создано 8/4/2019, 12:15:01 تم النشر ب- 8/4/2019, 12:15:01|
HW1 is out and some announcements
Homework 1 is out, and should be visible on the website. The deadline is a month from now (May 8th). Submission is via the website.
The last question in the HW requires material that I will teach next week.
I have also uploaded some of the class notes.
See you next week,
|פורסם ב- 8/4/2019, 10:25:41 Created on 8/4/2019, 10:25:41 Создано 8/4/2019, 10:25:41 تم النشر ب- 8/4/2019, 10:25:41|
Several announcements fror 236779
|1. If you plan to miss a class, for any reason, please tell me in advance.|
2. Before going out to Pessah vacation I will publish a list of possible final projects to choose from. This list will help you choose something in case you are not sure what you would like to do. It will not be mandatory to choose from this list.
3. For those who are looking for an advisor for a Master's or PhD program, I have several openings and you are welcome to contact me to find out more. The final project in the course can also serve as basis for graduate level research.
4. There might be an opening for a teaching assistant for the class, based on the current number of students. In case you are interested, let me know. (The final grade for the student-TA will be determined slightly differently from the rest of the class).
See you Tuesday,
|פורסם ב- 30/3/2019, 11:12:46 Created on 30/3/2019, 11:12:46 Создано 30/3/2019, 11:12:46 تم النشر ب- 30/3/2019, 11:12:46|
Today's class summary
I've uploaded a brief description of what we learned today to the "events" part of the webcourse site.
I also added a list of recommended reading in the "course material" section of the site.
See you next week,
|פורסם ב- 26/3/2019, 13:57:23 Created on 26/3/2019, 13:57:23 Создано 26/3/2019, 13:57:23 تم النشر ب- 26/3/2019, 13:57:23|
Welcome to 236779 - Spring 2019.
You are receiving this message either because your are officially registered to the course, or because you have personally asked me to be on the mailing list.
I added a general description of the course, as well as a summary of what we talked about today, to the webcourse site:
In the site, you will also see scribe notes done by students in previous years. This will give you a good idea about what we may learn this semester (although there may be changes).
Please use the link below to sign up for a date for serving as class scribe (sikum shi'ur). I will try to take your request into consideration, although I might not be able to satisfy all requests.
Have a great semester,
|פורסם ב- 19/3/2019, 14:28:23 Created on 19/3/2019, 14:28:23 Создано 19/3/2019, 14:28:23 تم النشر ب- 19/3/2019, 14:28:23|