We remind you that we hold a weekly office hour on:
- Sundays at 17:00-18:00.
In the following two weeks, we will hold an additional hour on:
- Wednesdays (07.12, 14.12) at 15:30-16:20.
All office hours are held on Zoom (link in course material).
|פורסם ב- 5/12/2022, 15:54:58 Created on 5/12/2022, 15:54:58 Создано 5/12/2022, 15:54:58 تم النشر ب- 5/12/2022, 15:54:58|
Major HW2 and Short HW3 are out
Major assignment 2 (out of 3) is now available. It is due by Tuesday 27.12.2022 at 23:59.
Submission is in pairs only. The assignment is mandatory and its grade is worth 8.33% of the final grade.
The assignment concentrates on classification models and basic model selection.
Also, short assignment 3 (out of 5) is now available.
It is due by Sunday 18.12.2022 at 23:59.
|עדכון אחרון ב- 5/12/2022, 13:03:59 Last updated on 5/12/2022, 13:03:59 Последняя модификация 5/12/2022, 13:03:59 تمت الحتلنة الأخيرة ب- 5/12/2022, 13:03:59|
Schedule updates for this week: Noam's tutorial and Tuesday's office hour
- Only this week, Noam's Tutorial on Tuesday, 29.11, will be held two hours earlier (at 14:30) at Ulmann 603.
- The office hour scheduled for Tuesday will be held instead on Monday, 28.11, at 16:30 (Zoom).
Thank you for your understanding
|פורסם ב- 27/11/2022, 10:00:16 Created on 27/11/2022, 10:00:16 Создано 27/11/2022, 10:00:16 تم النشر ب- 27/11/2022, 10:00:16|
Major HW1 - Clarificaitons
Following some questions we got, we updated the instructions of Major HW1 in very few places to make things clearer and to fix broken cross-references inside the document.
The changes are marked in orange and appear on pages 7, 11, 12, and 13.
Please download the updated document and make sure your answers suit the clarifications.
|עדכון אחרון ב- 18/11/2022, 11:50:43 Last updated on 18/11/2022, 11:50:43 Последняя модификация 18/11/2022, 11:50:43 تمت الحتلنة الأخيرة ب- 18/11/2022, 11:50:43|
Homework appeal policy
During the course you may appeal on your homework grades by writing a concise appeal to the course's email.
Appeals will be accepted for 3 consecutive work days after the grades and feedbacks are published, and may lead to a renewed grading of the entire submission.
|עדכון אחרון ב- 17/11/2022, 18:40:17 Last updated on 17/11/2022, 18:40:17 Последняя модификация 17/11/2022, 18:40:17 تمت الحتلنة الأخيرة ب- 17/11/2022, 18:40:17|
Students repeating the course
Students who repeat the course *should not* redo the major assignments (but should do the short ones).
These students are required to email their details to the course mail ASAP.
|פורסם ב- 17/11/2022, 15:22:56 Created on 17/11/2022, 15:22:56 Создано 17/11/2022, 15:22:56 تم النشر ب- 17/11/2022, 15:22:56|
Short HW2 - Minor correction
The distances in the second dataset of Q3 were not clear enough.
We slightly updated the dataset (added one data-point). Now it should be unambiguous.
Please make sure you work with the updated file.
|פורסם ב- 12/11/2022, 19:16:50 Created on 12/11/2022, 19:16:50 Создано 12/11/2022, 19:16:50 تم النشر ب- 12/11/2022, 19:16:50|
Major HW1 - Data Exploration and Preparation
Major assignment 1 (out of 3) is now available in the assignment section.
It is due by Wednesday 30.11.2022 at 23:59.
Submission is in pairs *only*.
The assignment is mandatory and its grade is worth 8.33% of the final grade. We trust you to solve it *solely* with your partner.
The assignment concentrates on data exploration and data preparation. All three major assignments will handle the same data, so, the insights you will gain in this assignment will help you throughout the two other assignments.
A few remarks:
1. Stay calm. There are many ways to tackle and solve this assignment. You are assessed based on your report, reasoning and explanations. We do not expect a very specific set of decisions from your side.
2. Don’t get stuck on the first questions, e.g., typing of columns. If you’re not sure, guess and then come back later after you have finished your analysis and become more informed.
It is common in ML projects rerun the different parts of the notebook several times (one of the reasons we use jupyter).
|פורסם ב- 11/11/2022, 14:13:18 Created on 11/11/2022, 14:13:18 Создано 11/11/2022, 14:13:18 تم النشر ب- 11/11/2022, 14:13:18|
Short HW2 - Classification: Introduction
Short assignment 2 (out of 5) is now available.
It is due by Thursday 24.11.2022 at 23:59.
|פורסם ב- 11/11/2022, 07:52:46 Created on 11/11/2022, 07:52:46 Создано 11/11/2022, 07:52:46 تم النشر ب- 11/11/2022, 07:52:46|
Starting today, we will hold a weekly office hour on Zoom on Sundays at 17:00-18:00.
The link can be found in the course material section.
When the major assignments are out, we will hold additional office hours and publish them separately.
|פורסם ב- 6/11/2022, 08:39:46 Created on 6/11/2022, 08:39:46 Создано 6/11/2022, 08:39:46 تم النشر ب- 6/11/2022, 08:39:46|
Short HW1 - Minor correction
Notice that in the placekeeper for the answer of Q1.1 in the probability refresher, we accidently wrote that the expectation of the empirical *mean* is equal to the expectation of the empirical *sum*.
That is, we omitted the (1/m).
Please remember to use it.
We also refer you to the Piazza thread: https://piazza.com/class/l9kzjb3q2uf6u/post/l9rs3lnikvt70b
|פורסם ב- 31/10/2022, 18:16:45 Created on 31/10/2022, 18:16:45 Создано 31/10/2022, 18:16:45 تم النشر ب- 31/10/2022, 18:16:45|
Short HW1 - Preparing for the course
Short assignment 1 (out of 5) is now available.
It is due by Monday 07.11.2022 at 23:59.
The assignment will help you prepare for the course, both programmatically (in Python) and mathematically (probability and linear algebra). This preparation is very important for the rest of the course.
Note that the assignment seems longer than it actually is.
During the course we will use a Piazza forum for questions and discussions on the assignments, lectures, and tutorials.
Please register at: http://piazza.com/technion.ac.il/winter2023/236756
Wish you all a great semester!
|פורסם ב- 24/10/2022, 14:52:51 Created on 24/10/2022, 14:52:51 Создано 24/10/2022, 14:52:51 تم النشر ب- 24/10/2022, 14:52:51|
We emphasize again that the course has prerequisites which we fully enforce this semester.
The prerequisites are *both*:
(1) A course in probability (094412, 104034, 104222, 094481, or equivalent).
(2) A course in numerical algorithms (234125, 104283, 095295, 084135, or 034033).
(*) As an alternative to numerical algorithms we allow a course in optimization (236330, 046197, or 104193).
Students who registered to our course without these prerequisites, are asked to cancel their registration.
|פורסם ב- 23/10/2022, 12:48:27 Created on 23/10/2022, 12:48:27 Создано 23/10/2022, 12:48:27 تم النشر ب- 23/10/2022, 12:48:27|
Welcome to Introduction to ML!
We are excited to begin the course next week!
1. Prerequisites will be *fully* enforced at the beginning of the semester.
2. Frontal instruction: all lectures and tutorials are currently planned to be only frontal.
3. Recordings: we will provide you with the Panopto folders of the lectures and tutorials from last year (course material section).
We highly advise you to attend physically the classes of the current semester.
The recordings should be used as a "Plan B", since they are outdated on several places.
The obligating material for the assignments and the exams is the one we will teach during the *current* semester.
4. Written correspondence will be made using the course email at:
5. Course materials are written in English. Classes will be held in Hebrew. Exams - in Hebrew. If you need an English exam, please contact the course email ASAP.
6. The course is not based on a single book. We do offer some references to prominent literature in the syllabus, and we may refer to relevant chapters as the course progresses.
7. Course grading and assignments:
- 65% exam (55+ to pass).
- 3 major programming assignments: 25% of final grade (mandatory, submitted in pairs only).
- 5 short assignments (mostly non-programming): 10% of final grade (mandatory, submitted individually).
- See the syllabus for full details.
Yonatan, Itay, Yonatan, Era, and Noam
|פורסם ב- 19/10/2022, 11:15:58 Created on 19/10/2022, 11:15:58 Создано 19/10/2022, 11:15:58 تم النشر ب- 19/10/2022, 11:15:58|